Several months ago, when I have just graduated from the University, I was totally bewildered about preparing the following life phase. The dilemma was coming over me in choosing to apply for jobs or to continue my master degree. Surely, I asked opinion to my family, for making an accurate decision. My parent, specifically my father, wanted me to go home directly and find a job at my hometown. Then I rang my elder brothers whether to accept his colleague’s offer to work in the Capital city or not and I told them about my plan to take the master degree as well.
At that moment, my dad rejected my intention. However, one of my brothers told me that there might be a different way of thinking between parents and children. As my brother, he fully supported my arrangement to enroll postgraduate program, yet my dad perhaps had his own perception about it without saying his desire clearly. It was a really tough moment for me in defending my idealism against his insincere support.
On behalf of my effort, I met some people who I knew before or strangers that I knew from my trip by train. I spontaneously had a little deep talk with them about when they were at my age which coincidentally there was a man who had the same life event as me. Definitely, I learned from their experiences at the time they gave me suggestions. Arguments still happened between me and my dad who I thought that he never understands me and my passions, although I have explained it in detail for more than once.
After going through some real fact of life, now, I understand them little by little that parents tend to intervene two crucial decisions related to their kids future, that is an occupation and future husband or wife. In fact, I did not realised this kind of thing have occurred when I wanted to select a subject prior to high school graduation in entering the university five years ago. From this, the problem appears when there is different desire between parents and their kids. Moreover, I am the type of person who dislikes being intervened.
I attempted so hard to understand what my dad’s conservative thought about his daughter’s future, nevertheless I found it did not make sense. In my opinion, we were not born from the same history at the same time. We have our own dare. In my generation, I have to deal with actual challenges including technology and information. Unfortunately, since we have the same character, we keep on quarreling on this because we have a different perspective regarding common belief and behaviors, such as attitude towards the family, carrier, personal life, politic, religion, occupation, marriage, children, health, and etcetera.
Despite having contradictory assumption between me and my dad, I do still believe that parents are everything, who have sacrificed their lives for their children in every way. It is not that straightforward to communicate what I want to a person with that sort of character and personality. What I do really want are the objective point of views in an elegant way, such as positive and negative options, and give the authority for me to make an ultimate decision while considering the consequences. What young adult want is something that always holds them up.
It is not the end. I am still figuring out my identity as a maturer youngblood. I have my ambition and my own way to attain it because I am the one who takes responsibility for my own future.
Komentar
Posting Komentar